Tuesday 4 February 2014

The Beginning

One fine afternoon, someone suggested that I spread my somewhat limited wisdom on yet another social networking platform.
I want to start a blog all about how to cope with launching into the world of choosing universities, becoming a student nurse,how to plan/survive a gap year and just general life advice. As I learn the hard way, I'll update all you lucky people on how to avoid the mistakes or take the opportunities by the scruff of the neck.

I'll start off the boring way and tell you a bit about myself.
I'm 17 and currently taking 3 a-levels (human biology, psychology, history). I'm hoping to become a nurse in the very near future, but first I've taken the mad decision to attempt to travel the world with my best friend on a very small budget. 

A lot of people have asked me why I'm taking a gap year, and my answers have varied in their truthfulness each time. On my personal statement I made it look like it would really help me excel in my chosen career; an incredibly idealistic view, but I still hope its true.
My friends and teachers and parents all think that it's to earn money and see the world.
But it's really because I don't want to start being a proper adult yet. I want to travel and work long crappy jobs, make slightly stupid decisions and spend money on stupid souvenirs which I'll keep for 30 years whilst I re-tell my gap year stories. With my chosen degree of nursing, you start working in a placement pretty quickly so you're essentially a nurse from that point, and although I think I'm ready to do that one day, this year isn't time. I need a bit more life experience before I can start help other people with theirs. I can't imagine what it would be like to be fresh from 'cushy' sixth form life to being in a position where people genuinely need you; that terrifies me right now. I'm hoping that by this time next year, I'll be desperate to start university and nursing and adult life.

So there you go, I've poured out the truth about my mad reasons for a gap year. 
Stay tuned for more slightly depressing home truths, and rants about how I am winging life.
Thank-you for reading,
Kitty x

No comments:

Post a Comment