Thursday 27 February 2014

The Realisation That I'm Leaving

Ten weeks. That's all. I have ten weeks left of secondary schooling and then I'm done. I've spent the last 12 years of my life in school (3 different ones but still) and it's really strange to think that it's all ending.

I've been at my current secondary school since I was 11, since I continued through Sixth Form, and I'm really going to miss it. I've not loved every second of my time here, that would be a huge exaggeration, and there are still days when I am joyous that I am leaving all these people behind.

Things I'll miss:

  • Memories. I can walk around school and see where I used to chat and gossip, see where I started my longest relationship, where I broke down, where I found out that he liked me or where I first started to feel like an adult. It's terrifying to think that I will be leaving these places, but at least I know that all these places will be there for other people to make those memories.
  • Teachers. I can't imagine what it's going to be like not having my favourite teachers encourage me, or just exchange witty banter. I'm pretty dependent on my teachers and I can't imagine life without them.
  • School uniform. I will miss wearing a tie everyday. It is a skill I will probably never use again.
  • The library. I love that stupid library. It's so warm and cosy and the school Librarian is really nice to me.
  • The History and Drama departments. It smells like coffee and mental breakdowns and hours of hard work.
  • Feeling like I'm queen of the school. Being in Sixth Form certainly has its perks.

Things I won't miss:

  • 'Lower schoolers'. They bumble around with no purpose in life, occasionally making catty comments to you to impress your friends. Not fun.
  • School dinners. Don't get me wrong, its not awful but there is a specific smell/taste to everything; bland.
  • School uniform. I know I said I'll miss it, but it has 'swings and roundabouts'. I will not miss the days when I am stopped in the corridor and female teachers call me a 'slut' for wearing a skirt above the knee.
  • Bells. My entire life at school is controlled by bells, and I don't like this. I am not one of Pavlov's dogs, thank-you.
  • Assembly. Nothing kills your morning vibe more than sitting in a room with people you hate and listening to your head of sixth form make inappropriate sexist jokes.
  • Plastic chairs/tables with chewing gum underneath/carpets with trodden down food. 
I hope this helps you appreciate school more/empathize if you are also leaving/makes you nostalgic about school.
I, however, am still terrified.
Thanks for reading,
Kitty x

No comments:

Post a Comment