Wednesday 9 April 2014

The Wonderful World of Work

I'm a big believer in part-time jobs for teenagers. Having worked two jobs in my life, waitress and my current job as a pot washer, I feel like I've got some 'part-time job wisdom'. Part-time jobs as a teenager are mega important as they allow you to peek into the adult world and see how you'll cope once the safety of school is taken away. Its a chance to mature, earn some money and work with new people of different ages and backgrounds. Yes, it can suck and you might, like I have been, be treated as some sort of pariah for all misfortunes within the workplace, but that just gives you the chance to learn your rights as a worker.

My time as a waitress was really interesting; it made me begin to realize how much I loved working in a busy environment, and that talking to people all day made me really happy. I worked really hard to become part of the team, despite the large age gaps and the fact that I wasn't in some way related to the boss. I made friends with the chefs and laughed with the waitresses whilst earning my way through the summer. Sadly, due to the surprising workload I had to deal with for my AS-levels and the inflexibility of my hours, I had to leave that job behind.
For over a year, I was unemployed but happy; I had saved enough to be comfortable. This changed last summer when I made the decision to take a gap year, and when my money started to run out. I had to get a job and fast so I gave out CVs to 9 different places, hoping that my experience as a waitress and first aid qualification would get me through- it didn't. I was nearly out of luck until my friend told me that her ex-boss was looking for people at a new bar in my town. I applied, and was given the chance to become a pot washer. I took it, despite knowing how I would hate it.. and I was right. I don't work in close proximity with anyone else, so I haven't gelled with the team. Other than that they are fantastic to work for and they pay well, but I'm not happy. I know that jobs won't always make you happy but that doesn't change how I feel. I honestly believe that I don't deserve a job which I know I'm not suited too; someone else does. I am not a pot-washer, I like to talk and serve.
So, after another stint of giving out CVs which failed again, I managed to get an interview for a full-time waitress position (thanks to the guy I'm dating for notifying me of the position and getting me the application form). I'm desperately hoping that I'll get this job so that I can start to feel happy and enjoy my work gain.

The point of that rather long winded anecdote is that my part-time jobs have shaped who I am. Without being a waitress/pot washer, I wouldn't have realised how much I loved providing a service and I might not have applied for nursing. And I would be broke, which would really suck. Even though there have been times when I wished my life was more similar to those in Super Sweet 16, and that I had pretty much unlimited money to my name, that isn't my reality. Part-time jobs are essential to your personal growth from adolescence to adult (yuck sorry) so get out there if possible. (Unless you aren't coping with your current workload, in which take it easy!!)
I hope that gave some insight, or provided you with 5 minutes of procrastination.
Thanks for reading,
Kitty x

No comments:

Post a Comment