Monday 16 June 2014

City Dreams

As a non city-dweller, it's a novelty to go to cities. The rush of having all these people around you, the smells, the shops, the general vibe is so different; and I love it. I've been to my fair share of cities over the years as they contain museums and art galleries which my parents have dragged me around for many years.
I've decided to compile a list of my favourite cities because it's summer and you might need some ideas. Or you might value my opinion (ha!), who knows.

My all time favourite city is probably Berlin, for obvious reasons (see this blog post). There is loaaads to do, and it's packed full of interesting history from many different periods! They even have a museum island! It's relatively cheap and the people are absolutely lovely. Best piece of advice? Know polite German like please, thank-you etc. It will get you further than you think.

Paris. Ahhh, Paris- the city of love! Paris is a city which will always be in my heart as it's the foreign city I've visited the most. Paris is so pretentious and disgustingly artistic, it's a bit like that awfully laid-back friend that gets good grades without trying. Paris makes you into the kind of person who one day will be wearing Birkenstocks and socks, and the next you'll be head to toe in Chanel. My advice is to do all the touristy sites first, and then explore. It's a city full of little places of gorgeous wonder.

Copenhagen, the typically Scandinavian city in every sense. Everything is clean and ordered and very innovative, it's a bit like being in a Lego city (fact attack- Lego is a Danish product). Just being there makes you feel safe and relaxed. Oh, and there is a massive amusement park/ normal park in the middle of the city which is worth a trip! My advice- Cycle around this city and you will see the sites and fall in love.

New York- I hate myself a little bit for saying this but you simply have to go to New York if you love cities. It's the pinnacle of 'cities you have to visit', and for good reason. Everything is happening there, 24/7. There is simply not a dull moment. You turn a corner, and you recognise where you are. The art galleries and museums are fab! My advice? Don't bother going up the Statue of Liberty. See it via the Staten Island ferry instead.

There are, of course, many more cities which I love but the list cannot go on forever. And if you're looking at this thinking "where are the British cities", I'm sorry. I love my British cities, I really do. They just don't make this list. I guess I'm not promoting British values, sorry Cameron/Gove.
I hope you enjoyed the lack of wisdom and wit of this post.
Thanks for reading,
Kitty x



No comments:

Post a Comment